Lawrence W. Robinson
Professor of Operations Management
433 Sage Hall
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Ithaca, NY 14853-6201
Professor Robinson's research focuses on problems of operating in an uncertain environment; in particular, on developing practical heuristic policies that perform well and can be easily calculated. His research interests range from inventory management to booking limits for discount fare airline passengers, to scheduling doctor's appointments. He has published in a variety of journals, including Operations Research, Management Science, IIE Transactions, and the European Journal of Operational Research. He has been a Mobil Scholar, and has been recognized by BusinessWeek as one of the top teachers at Johnson. His consulting projects include advising Hungarian professors on introducing TQM into their courses and developing joint forecasting/inventory management policies for highly seasonal and perishable products.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Click here to view the curriculum vitae (PDF document).
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Chen, Rong. "Sequencing and Scheduling Appointments with Potential Call-In Patients" Production and Operations Management (Accepted)
- Dobson, Gregory; Lederer, Philip J.; Robinson, Lawrence W.. "A Service Provider's Elicitation of Its Customers' Demand Distributions by a Price Mechanism" Decision Sciences 43.2 (2012): 213-240.
- Chen, Rachel R; Robinson, Lawrence W.. "Optimal Multiple-Breakpoint Quantity Discount Schedules for Customers with Heterogeneous Demands: All-Unit or Incremental?" IIE Transactions 44.3 (2012): 199-214.
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Chen, Rachel R. "Estimating the Implied Value of the Customer's Waiting Time" Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 13.1 (2011): 53-57.
- Chen, Rachel; Robinson, Lawrence W.; Chen, Rachel R. "A Comparison of Traditional and Open-Access Policies for Apppointment Scheduling" Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 12.2 (2010): 330-346.
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Bradley, James R. "Further Improvements on Base-Stock Approximations for Independent Stochastic Lead Times with Order Crossover" Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 10.2 (2008): 325-327.
- Gerchak, Yigal; Khmelnitsky, Eugene; Robinson, Lawrence W.. "Untruthful Probabilistic Demand Forecasts in Vendor-Managed Revenue-Sharing Contracts: Coordinating the Chain" Naval Research Logistics 54.7 (2007): 742-749.
- Bradley, James R; Robinson, Lawrence W.. "Improved Base-Stock Approximations for Independent Stochastic Lead Times with Order Crossover" Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 7.4 (2005): 319-329.
- Robinson, Lawrence W.. "Concise experimental designs" Quality Engineering 15.3 (2003): 403-406.
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Chen, Rachel R.. "Scheduling doctors' appointments: optimal and empirically-based heuristic policies" IIE Transactions 35.3 (2003): 295-307.
- Lau, Amy H.-L.; Lau, Hon-Shiang; Robinson, Lawrence W.. "Convenient Expressions for Computing the Exact Annual Cost of a Continuous-Review (Q, R) System with Backordering" Journal of the Operational Research Society 53.6 (2002): 655-663.
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Bradley, James R.; Thomas, L. Joseph. "Consequences of Order Crossover Under Order-Up-To Inventory Policies" Manufacturing & Service Operations Management 3.3 (2001): 175-189.
- Robinson, Lawrence W.. "Graphical Acceptance Sampling" Quality Engineering 12.1 (1999): 111-114.
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Nikandish, Naser; Muchinsky, Andrea E.. "How Many Handicapped Parking Spaces Should There Be?"
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Chen, Gongtao; Roundy, Robin Otho; Zhang, Rachel Q. "Inventory Control in the Presence of Multiple Sources of Uncertainty and Volatility"
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Chen, Gongtao. "Quick Recovery to Alternative ELSP Cycles"
- Thomas, L. Joseph; McClain, John O.; Robinson, Lawrence W.; Schultz, Kenneth L.. "The Use of Framing in Inventory Decisions"
- Robinson, Lawrence W.; Gavirneni, Nagesh. "Using Retailer Order Commitments to Improve Supply Chain Performance"