Computer Requirements and Recommendations
A laptop computer is required for your academic courses at Johnson. CNET can offer some assistance in choosing the right brand and model. Apple, Dell, and HP offer educational discounts on their computers and can be accessed through the Cornell Store.
Johnson’s Computer Recommendations:
- Hardware: A laptop under 2 years of age
- Operating System: Windows 7 or higher; Mac Lion or higher (More information about Macs in our environment.)
- Media: Many students find that a USB flash drive is convenient for file transfers, but it is not required.
- Wireless capability: 802.11b/g/n
- Microsoft Office 2010 for PC is required. An academic license can be purchased from the Cornell Store.
Other Recommended Features and Options
- Warranty: Laptops are easily susceptible to damage. The best protection for these occurrences is an accidental damage warranty. Many computer companies and personal insurance providers offer this.
- Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware Software: We recommend that all computers have virus protection software installed. Some computers come with trial software, but Cornell and Microsoft provide fully functional antivirus for free.
- Printers: High-speed, high-resolution, wireless black and white and color laser printers are available in Sage Hall. Owning your own printer may be both convenient and affordable, but is not required.
- Security for a Laptop: Since laptops are easily portable, they are a target for theft. You might want to consider insurance to protect your investment. Note that policies do not usually insure the computer for damage that occurs if it is dropped. Purchasing a security cable for quick trips away from your computer is also recommended.