Computer Requirements and Recommendations
A laptop computer is required for your academic courses at Johnson. CNET
can offer some assistance in choosing the right brand and model. Apple, Dell
, and HP
offer educational discounts on their computers and can be access through the Cornell Store.
Warranty: Laptops are easily susceptible to damage. The best protection for these occurrences is accidental damage warranty. Many computer companies and personal insurance providers offer this protection at the time of purchase. Purchasing this warranty will protect you in the event that you accidently damage your laptop.
- Hardware: A Laptop less than 2 years old
- Operating system: Windows (7 or 8) or Mac OS X (or later). Depending on your coursework, MAC users will need to run Boot Camp or Parallels along with Windows/Office for PC.
- Wireless capability: 802.11 b/g/n
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office is required for coursework at Johnson. An academic license can be purchased from the Cornell store. For MAC users, some coursework will require Windows/Office to be installed in utilizing either Bootcamp or Parallels.
- Anti-virus and anti-spyware software: Cornell requires that your computer has virus protection software installed. Cornell offers free Symantec Endpoint virus protection for registered students. Please Click Here for more information regarding computer security. More information and recommendations for security can be found at Student Security
Smart Phone recommendations
Many students find using a Smart Phone at Johnson to be convenient; however, a smart phone is not required. The following are the phones that we have found to work most effectively in our environment.
- iPhone - Apple's iPhone is simple to use and to configure for Cornell email. Cornell provides a "profile" to download, asks pertinent information, and completes the setup for you.
- Android - Android phones, depending on the OS version and manufacturer, give various results for ease of setup. Johnson provides the information necessary to complete your setup; however, Androids may require a more manual entry of configuration settings.
- Windows - Windows phones are simple to set up at Cornell and along with other apps, newer Windows phones come with Office Mobile which includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint Mobile.
Frequently asked questions
Q: I am not technically inclined, so what is the easiest way for me to be sure I have the computer I need?
A: You may find it helpful to look at several computer vendors' websites on the Internet to become more familiar with the models, options, and prices available. CNET
has an excellent guide to buying Laptops. Simply search for Laptop Buying Guide on CNET.
Q: Should I buy my laptop at the Campus Store?
A: Purchasing from the Cornell store can be done if you do not have the time for shipping or do not want to pay the additional shipping costs associated with purchasing directly from the manufacturer.
Q: What if I already own a computer?
A: If you have a Laptop computer that does not meet our recommendations, you may want to upgrade it as appropriate. If your computer is more than 3 years old, you may want to consider replacement. If its hardware meets or exceeds our recommendation, you may want to consider upgrading your operating system and Office Suite.
Q: How long does it take to get my computer ready to do everything I will need?
A: By following our self-help instructions, you can have your computer and Microsoft Office properly configured in less than 1 hour.
Q: Should I use the same computer I use for my job?
A: If you do bring your business Laptop to use in the school's program, be aware of these potentially
- School network settings often conflict with corporate requirements.
- Operating Systems updates are often not allowed.
- Microsoft Office updates are often not allowed
- The installation of third party software is often not allowed.
- Security settings often conflict with school requirements.
- The user is often not the administrator, which means our support team may not be able to troubleshoot your computer.