Your life at the Johnson begins with an orientation that many students describe as "drinking from a fire hose!" The challenging, content-rich, fast-paced program will engage you in our intense, highly collaborative community.
All incoming members of the Class of 2015 are expected to be in Ithaca for Orientation Monday, August 5th through Friday, August 16th; and Core Classes begin the morning of Monday, August 19th. Orientation includes an overview of expectations and resources, exemption exams, Career Management Center orientation, social events, and NBA5700 Johnson Team Leadership Experience.
MONDAY, AUGUST 5 - OPENING DAY - Business Attire
- 11:00 am -- Check-in begins in the Dyson Atrium, Sage Hall. A light lunch will be provided.
- 11:00 am-2:30 pm -- Individual photographs will be taken
- 11:00 am-12:30 pm -- Information Fair in Dyson Atrium, Sage Hall
- You will choose ONE of the 3 Orientation Overview Sessions -11:30 am, 12:30 pm, or 1:30 pm.
- 3:00-4:00 pm -- Dean's Welcome Address in G01 Uris Hall (partners invited)
- 4:00-6:00 pm -- Welcome Reception in Dyson Atrium, Sage Hall (partners and families invited)
Get the Orientation "At-a-Glance" Schedule Here -- hard copies will be distributed at check-in.
Orientation Event Details -- You will see all pre-orientation and orientation events listed below, and can click on individual items for more details.
Attire for Orientation -- Plan to arrive in Business Attire on August 5th for photographs, the welcome session and reception. You will need to be in Business Casual on August 9th for the Alumni Career events; and Business Casual for the NBA5700 Case Competition on August 15th. The rest of Orientation is Casual Attire. You have received details on what to wear and bring for J.O.E., and you'll also find that information here.
We need your t-shirt size and emergency contact information for the off-site retreat Johnson Outdoor Experience (J.O.E.) that everyone attends on August 16th. If you have already registered for any Orientation Events (Math Camp, International Orientation, Winery Visit, or Boat Cruises), then we have your size. If you have NOT signed up for any event, please go to this link to provide your t-shirt size and emergency contact information. You can do this without signing up for any specific event, and no payment is required.
Orientation Social Events: Don't Miss Out...Sign-up Now!
- Tuesday, August 6th, 5:45-9:15 pm -- Wagner Vineyards. Advance sign-up and payment required. This extremely popular event is an opportunity for social interaction and relaxation. Bring your partner/spouse and join fellow classmates for a local wine tasting. Buses will depart at 5:45 pm from the Uris Hall bus stop, corner of East Avenue and Tower Road, just north of Sage Hall, for transportation to one of the Finger Lakes wineries, Wagner Vineyards. At Wagner, you will have the opportunity to sample their signature wines and/or beers. Hors d’oeuvres will be served throughout the evening. In addition, a cash bar serving Wagner’s beer and wine will be available. Buses will leave Wagner at 8:00 and 8:30 PM for the return trip to Ithaca, and arrive back on campus by 9:15 PM. DON'T FORGET TO BRING YOUR SUNGLASSES! Adults only.
- Sunday, August 11 -- Cayuga Lake Cruises. No charge, but advance sign-up required. Join fellow students and their families on a 2-hour cruise of beautiful Cayuga Lake on the M/V Columbia. Please arrive no later than 15 minutes prior to your sailing time. CASH BAR; complimentary snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. Cruises depart at 3:00 pm, 5:30 pm, and 8:00 pm.
Set-up a Calendar Feed
You can set-up a feed to your own calendar of all MBAI
events from the Johnson Calendar of Events
by clicking on the "Download Calendar" link on the right side of this page
, just above the month. Scroll down to the "club calendar" for MBAI
, click on the Outlook or Google link, and you will see instructions. Exact start times and room locations for orientation and events throughout the semester may change, so a live feed is much better than downloading individual events to your calendar. If you have specific questions about the orientation schedule or calendar feed, please contact us at NewStudents@johnson.cornell.edu