A laptop computer is required for your academic courses at Johnson. CNET can offer some assistance in choosing the right brand and model. Apple, Dell, and HP offer educational discounts on their computers and can be access through the Cornell Store.
Warranty: Laptops are easily susceptible to damage. The best protection for these occurrences is accidental damage warranty. Many computer companies and personal insurance providers offer this protection at the time of purchase. Purchasing this warranty will protect you in the event that you accidently damage your laptop.
Here at Johnson, we are more than happy to help Mac users. That being said, there are a number of classes that use software only available on Windows which have led many students to deal with headaches and frustration. Most of those students expressed that, with the fast pace of the first year, they wish they would have made their lives easier and bought a PC before coming to Johnson. For those that want to continue to use a Mac you will want to purchase/install Parallels along with MS Windows in order to run MS Office for Windows.
- Hardware: A laptop less than 2 years old
- Operating system: Latest version of Windows or latest Mac OS. Depending on your coursework, MAC users will need to run Parallels along with Windows/Office for PC.
- Wireless capability: 802.11 b/g/n
Technology Discounts are available at the Campus Store for students. Click here for more details.
Visit here for more information on Technology Services and for Configuration instructions for your devices.
- Microsoft Office is required for coursework at Johnson. It is available for free to all registered Cornell students and can be downloaded here. The software will remain active as long as you are a registered student. Once you graduate, you will have the opportunity to keep using the software by paying a fee directly to Microsoft. For MAC users, some coursework will require Windows/Office to be installed utilizing Parallels.
Anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- Cornell requires that your computer has virus protection software installed. PC Users running Windows 10, your computers come with Windows Defender built into your OS. MAC Users can download free Antivirus software for their computers...click here for more information.
Please click here for more information regarding computer security. More information and recommendations for security can be found at Recognize Possible Security Problems.
Many students find using a smartphone at Johnson to be convenient; however, it is not required. The following are the phones that we have found to work most effectively in our environment.
- Apple's iPhone is simple to use and to configure for Cornell email. Cornell provides a "profile" to download, asks pertinent information, and completes the setup for you.
- Android phones, depending on the OS version and manufacturer, give various results for ease of setup. Johnson provides the information necessary to complete your setup; however, Androids may require a more manual entry of configuration settings.
- Windows phones are simple to set up at Cornell and along with other apps, newer Windows phones come with Office Mobile, which includes Word, Excel and PowerPoint Mobile.