Dr. Li Chen is an associate professor of operations, technology and information management at the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University. Dr. Chen's research interests concern information and incentive problems in operations and supply chain management. He has published research works in top journals in the operations management field, such as Management Science, Operations Research, and Manufacturing, Service and Operations Management.
Prior to joining Johnson, Dr. Chen was an associate professor of business administration at The Fuqua School of Business at Duke University. He taught supply chain management for various programs, including the Global Executive MBA, Weekend Executive MBA, Daytime MBA, Master of Management in Clinical Informatics, and Master of Management Studies.
Before his Duke appointment, Dr. Chen spent four years at TrueDemand Software, a supply chain software company in Silicon Valley, where he was the cofounder and lead scientist of the company. Dr. Chen obtained his PhD in Management Science and Engineering from Stanford University.
- Chen, Li; Lee, Hau. "Sourcing Under Supplier Responsibility Risk: The Effects of Certification, Audit, and Contingency Payment" Management Science. 63.9 (2017): 2795–2812
- Chen, Li; Hu, Bin. "Is Reshoring Better Than Offshoring? The Effect of Offshore Supply Dependence" Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 19.2 (2017): 166-184
- Chen, Li; Mersereau, Adam; Wang, Zhe. "Optimal Merchandise Testing with Limited Inventory" Operations Research. 65.4 (2017): 968-991
- Chen, Li; Luo, Wei; Shang, Kevin. "Measuring the Bullwhip Effect: Discrepancy and Alignment Between Information and Material Flows" Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 19.1 (2017): 36-51
- Chen, Li; Song, Jing-Sheng; Zhang, Yue. "Serial Inventory Systems with Markov-Modulated Demand: Derivative Bounds, Asymptotic Analysis, and Insights" Operations Research. 65.5 (2017): 1231-1249
- Chen, Li; Kök, A.; Tong, Jordan. "The Effect of Payment Schemes on Inventory Decisions: The Role of Mental Accounting" Management Science. 59.2 (2013): 436-451
- Chen, Li; Lee, Hau. "Bullwhip Effect Measurement and Its Implications" Operations Research. 60.4 (2012): 771-784
- Chen, Li. "Bounds and Heuristics for Optimal Bayesian Inventory Control with Unobserved Lost Sales" Operations Research. 58.2 (2010): 396-413
- Chen, Li; Lee, Hau. "Information Sharing and Order Variability Control under a Generalized Demand Model" Management Science. 55.5 (2009): 781-797
- Chen, Li; Plambeck, Erica. "Dynamic Inventory Management with Learning about the Demand Distribution and Substitution Probability" Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 10.2 (2008): 236-256
Awards and Honors
- Clifford H. Whitcomb Faculty Fellow (2016)
- Third Prize, Best Paper Competition (2016) CSAMSE Annual Conference
- Second Prize, Best Paper Competition (2014) CSAMSE Annual Conference
- Third Prize, Best Paper Competition (2009) OCSAMSE Annual Conference
- MGMT 5080 - Operations Management
- NBA 6420 - Supply Chain Analytics
- NBAE 6420 - Supply Chain Strategy
- NBA 6410 - Supply Chain Strategy
- PhD Stanford University, 2005