Academics, Executive MBA Metro NY, Johnson Experience

Direct, immediate impact: Managing and Leading in Organizations

direct-immediate-impact-managing-leading-organizations

By Katie Meyer, Executive MBA Metro NY ’19

Though it’s still early into my Cornell MBA journey in the Executive MBA Metro NY program, the Managing and Leading in Organizations class (or M.L.O., as my cohort and I lovingly referred to it), has, without a doubt, already impacted my leadership capabilities and my career.

Here’s the official course description:

Participants study effective management of individuals and teams in the context of dynamic organizations. Topics include leadership, organizational design, structure, diversity, culture, change, evolution, and strategy.

The topic of managing and leading is something that I am inherently passionate about, so having the opportunity to take a class on the subject was something I was looking forward to. Looking back on it, I wished the class would have lasted longer.

In the short time we had together, Michelle Duguid, associate professor of management and organizations, led our cohort through a variety of current leadership topics. These included motivation and engagement, the power of cultures within organizations, politics and networking, influence strategies, and more.

What was most impactful was how we learned about and dove into these topics—head first, together, as a cohort, in our class teams, and in a variety of manners: case studies, group breakouts, team papers, and personal reflection. What appeared to be, at first glance, just an auditorium-like classroom became an open forum and a place to practice, try out, and hone our leadership competencies.

Outside the classroom, I also had ample opportunity to try out new theories and ideas with my team at work. I focused in on motivation and, specifically, how the different members of my team are motivated. I learned new techniques for providing feedback, which I immediately deployed. I started speaking to my director and mentees about case studies, readings, and conversations from class and elevated and expanded our dialogue.

I truly believe that everyone should strive to be a lifelong learner—open to new ideas and thoughts and always seeking new information, especially given the rate of change in business today. My Managing and Leading in Organizations class has not only had an impact on me (and reinforced my belief in lifelong learning), but has also already had a greater impact on my expanded network. It will continue to shape my leadership capabilities in the years to come.

Learn more about the Executive MBA Metro NY program

Johnson Business Feed Home » Executive MBA Programs » Executive MBA Metro NY » Direct, immediate impact: Managing and Leading in Organizations
Shares
Katie Meyer, Executive MBA Metro NY ’19
Connect:

Katie Meyer, Executive MBA Metro NY ’19

Katie is an innovation program manager for Software & Technology at SAP. She chose the Metro NY program because of its cross-functional team approach, opportunities for leadership development, academic course offerings, Saturday/Sunday class format, and the caliber of the faculty.

“Having the opportunity to go to school on the weekends with your cohort and the Cornell faculty is such an unbelievable gift. It gives you the true feeling of being one cohesive unit when you’re there together—from grabbing breakfast as a team to taking a quiz, you are all in it together, which makes the program extremely special.”
Katie Meyer, Executive MBA Metro NY ’19
Connect:

Latest posts by Katie Meyer, Executive MBA Metro NY ’19 (see all)

Reply your comment: