Mukti Khaire is the Girish and Jaidev Reddy Professor of Practice at Cornell Tech. Her research and teaching focuses on entrepreneurship, with a particular focus on entrepreneurship in the creative industries such as art, fashion, and publishing. Her book on the topic, Culture and Commerce: The Value of Entrepreneurship in Creative Industries (Stanford University Press), was released in 2017. This book presents frameworks and concepts for understanding and analyzing the cultural and business implications of entrepreneurship in creative industries, building on Mukti's research on pioneering market-makers such as the Sundance Institute, the House of Chanel, and Penguin Publishing. She has also authored and co-authored several peer-reviewed papers on the topic in top-tier journals, including Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, and Organization Studies. She also serves as a book review editor at Organization Studies.
A resident of New York City, Mukti received her PhD in management from Columbia University's Graduate School of Business. Prior to Cornell Tech, she was associate professor at Harvard Business School in Boston. She has also taught at Brown University. Before getting her PhD, she received a Master in Management from IIT-Bombay.
Mukti has been invited to deliver Keynote addresses at industry events (2016 Annual Meeting of Book Industry Study Group; FI3) and academic conferences (2016 International Conference on Globalization of High Culture, Amsterdam; 2013 Annual Meeting of the European Group of Organization Studies, Montreal). Her paper, "Great Oaks from Little Acorns Grow: Strategies for New Venture Growth," was part of the Best Paper Proceedings at the 2004 Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, and she shared with Mark Kennedy the award for the Best Symposium Proposal (OMT Division) in 2012, at the Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management.
- NBAY 5500 - Business Fundamentals
- NBAY 6320 - Business-Tech Lectures I
- NBAY 6330 - Business-Tech Lectures II
- NBAY 6040 - Cornell/Tsinghua Challenge
- NBAY 5950 - Digitial Leadership in Cultural Marketing
- NMI 5000 - Directed Reading and Research
- NBAY 5770 - Entrepreneurship in Creative Industries
- NBA 5770 - Entrepreneurship in Creative Industries
- NBAT 5300 - Internet Innovation
- NBAY 6700 - Studio Skills
- Ph D Columbia University, 2006
- M.Phil Columbia University, 2002
- MS Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 1999
- M. Sc. University of Pune, 1995
- B. Sc. University of Pune, 1993