Professor Vishal Gaur is associate dean for MBA programs, Emerson Professor of Manufacturing Management, and professor of operations, technology and information management at the Johnson Graduate School of Management. His research interests lie in retail operations and supply chain management, and his current projects deal with internet retail operations, risk in supply networks, and linking operations with financial performance of firms.
Gaur teaches the MBA core course in operations management and an MBA elective course in retail operations. He has received numerous awards for his research and teaching: the Johnson Faculty Research Award in 2012-13; the Clifford H. Whitcomb Faculty Fellowship in 2010-11; the Johnson Core Faculty Award by the graduating classes of 2015, 2012, and 2008; the Johnson Cornell Tech Core Faculty Award by the graduating class of 2017; the Wickham Skinner Early Career Research Accomplishments Award by the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS) in 2006; and honorable mention in the George B. Dantzig Dissertation Award Competition in 2001. His co-authored paper, "Hedging Inventory Risk Through Market Instruments," published in the journal Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, received the 2008 Manufacturing and Service Operations Management Best Paper Award. He serves as a department editor for Management Science and an associate editor for Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Operations Research, and Production and Operations Management. Prof. Gaur received his PhD in 2001 from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, his MBA from the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad in 1995, and his BTech from the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi in 1993. Before joining Johnson, he was an assistant professor at the NYU Stern School of Business during 2001-07 and a visiting associate professor at Harvard Business School during 2007-08.
- Alan, Yasin; Gaur, Vishal. "Operational Investment and Capital Structure Under Asset Based Lending" Manufacturing and Service Operations Management (forthcoming).
- Akkas, A.; Gaur, Vishal; Simchi-Levi, D. "Drivers of Product Expiration in Consumer Packaged Goods Retailing" Management Science (forthcoming).
- Fisher, Marshall; Gaur, Vishal; Kleinberger, Herb. "Curing the Addiction to Growth: Lessons from the Retail Industry" Harvard Business Review. 95.1 (2017): 66 - 74
- Osadchiy, Nikolay; Gaur, Vishal; Seshadri, Sridhar. "Systematic Risk in Supply Chain Sales" Management Science. 62.6 (2016): 1755 - 1777
- Lee, JoonKyum; Gaur, Vishal; Muthulingam, Suresh; Swisher, Gary. "Stockout-Based Substitution and Inventory Planning in Textbook Retailing" Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 18.1 (2016): 104-121
- Kesavan, S.; Kushwaha, V.; Gaur, Vishal. "Do High and Low Inventory Turnover Retailers Respond Differently to Demand Shocks?" Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 18.2 (2016): 198-215
- Schmidt, William; Gaur, Vishal; Lai, Richard; Raman, Ananth. "Signaling to Partially Informed Investors in the Newsvendor Model" Production and Operations Management. 24.3 (2015): 383-401
- Gaur, Vishal; Kesavan, S.; Raman, A. "Retail Inventory: Managing the Canary in the Coal Mine" California Management Review. 56.2 (2014): 55-76
- Alan, Yasin; Gao, George; Gaur, Vishal. "Does Inventory Productivity Predict Future Stock Returns? A Retailing Industry Perspective" Management Science. 60.10 (2014): 2416-2434
- Gaur, Vishal; Osadchiy, Nikolay; Seshadri, Sridhar. "Sales Forecasting with Financial Indicators and Experts' Input" Production and Operations Management. 22.5 (2013): 1056-1076
Awards and Honors
- Core Faculty Award (2017) Johnson Cornell Tech Class of 2017
- The Core Faculty Award (2015) Johnson Graduate School of Management
- Best Paper Award Runner Up (2014) M&SOM iFORM SIG
- Wickham Skinner Early Career Research Accomplishments Award (2006) POMS
- George B. Dantzig Dissertation Award, Honorable Mention (2001) INFORMS
- NMI 5000 - Directed Reading and Research
- NCCT 5080 - Managing Operations
- NBA 5200 - Retail Operations
- NBA 6005 - The Business and Science of Clean Energy
- Ph D University of Pennsylvania- The Wharton School, 2001
- MA University of Pennsylvania- The Wharton School, 2000
- MBA Indian Institute of Management, 1995
- Btech. Indian Institute of Technology,, 1993