- Assistant Professor
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Technology
- Behavioral Economics and Decision Research
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Machine Learning
- Product Management
- Brand Management
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Professor Clarence Lee is an assistant professor of marketing at the Johnson Graduate School of Management. Clarence's research applies deep learning and Bayesian econometric techniques to digital marketing and customer analytics applications across various industries. He has spent the past ten years studying the drivers behind consumer adoption, usage and purchase dynamics of digital goods and services found in the start-up ecosystems of NYC and Silicon Valley.
His latest research interest is to help firms tackle digital transformation, and his most recent project focuses on employing novel artificial intelligence methods to enable customer analytics while preserving customer privacy. He currently teaches Digital Marketing, Data Analytics & Modeling, and the Strategic Product & Marketing Immersion (SPMI) at both the Ithaca and Cornell Tech campuses.
Clarence received his doctorate from Harvard Business School and holds undergraduate and graduate degrees in electrical engineering and computer science from MIT. His research has received recognition, including the Wyss Award for Excellence in Doctoral Research at the Harvard Business School, and the Clayton Dissertation Proposal Award from the Marketing Science Institute. He currently sits on the board of the ANA Education Foundation and has advised various data-driven start-ups.
- Lee, Clarence; Anand, Piyush. "Using Deep Learning to Overcome Privacy and Scalability Issues in Customer Data Transfer" (in preparation).
- Kim, Sungjin; Lee, Clarence; Gupta, Sachin. "Bayesian Synthetic Control Methods"Journal of Marketing Research. 57.5 (2020): 831-852
- Lee, Clarence; Ofek, Elie; Steenburgh, Thomas. "Personal and Social Usage: The Origins of Active Customers and Ways to Keep Them Engaged"Management Science. 64.6 (2018): 2473-2972
- Kim, Sungjin; Gupta, Sachin; Lee, Clarence. "Managing Members, Donors and Member-Donors for Effective Nonprofit Fundraising" (in preparation).
- Lee, Clarence; Menon, Anoop; Tabakovic, Haris; Sen, Chai. "Using Machine Learning to Predict Technology Generality" (in preparation).
- Lee, Clarence; Blair, Peter. "Disentangling Peer Effects and Economic Incentives in Customer Acquisition" (in preparation).
- Lee, Clarence; Kumar, Vineet; Gupta, Sunil. "Designing Freemium: Balancing Growth and Monetization" (in preparation).
- Elberse, Anita; Lee, Clarence; Zhang, Ling-Ling. "Viral Video: The True Reach of Online Video Advertisements" (in preparation).
Awards and Honors
- Co-Winner, Professor of the Year (2015) Cornell Tech Johnson School Faculty
- NBA 6090 - Digital Marketing
- NMI 5000 - Directed Reading & Research
- NBA 6240 - Strategic Product and Marketing Immersion
- DBA Harvard University, 2014
- MEng Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2008
- BS Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006