- Harold Bierman, Jr. Distinguished Professor of Management
- Charles Field Knight Dean of the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business
- Asset Management
- Corporate Finance
- Emerging Markets
- Global Business
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Professor Karolyi is a scholar of investment finance with a specialization in the study of international financial markets. He has published extensively in journals in finance and economics, including the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics and Review of Financial Studies, and has published several books, including International Capital Markets (2003) and Cracking the Emerging Markets Enigma (2015). His research has been featured in print and electronic media, including The Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, The Economist, New York Times, Washington Post, Forbes, BusinessWeek, and many others.
Prior to serving as dean, Karolyi completed an eight-year term as editor and then executive editor of the Review of Financial Studies, one of the top-tier journals in finance. He has also served as an associate editor for a variety of journals, including the Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Empirical Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Review of Finance and Pacific Basin Finance Journal. He is a recipient of the Michael Jensen Prize for Corporate Finance and Organizations (2017), the Fama/DFA Prize for Capital Markets and Asset Pricing (2005), the William F. Sharpe Award for Scholarship in Finance (2001), and the Johnson School's Prize for Excellence in Research (2010) and is a three-time winner of the School’s Global Award for Excellence in EMBA teaching.
He has led various executive education programs in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Asia, and is actively involved in consulting with corporations, banks, investment firms, stock exchanges, and law firms. Karolyi is chair of the board of directors of Responsible Research in Business and Management (RRBM) and vice chair of the UN’s Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME), an initiative of the UN Global Compact. He also serves as a Global Advisory Councillor for Accounting for Sustainability (A4S), one of HM King Charles III Charitable Funds. He currently serves as a director of the American Finance Association, is past president of the Western Finance Association, and is past chairperson of the board of trustees and past president of the Financial Management Association International.
Karolyi received his BA (Honors) in economics from McGill University and worked at the Bank of Canada for several years in its research department. He subsequently earned his MBA and PhD degrees in finance at the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew; Kim, Da Woon; Liao, Rose. "The Theory and Practice of Investor Relations: A Global Perspective"Management Science. 66.10 (2020): 4359-4919
- Karolyi, G. Andrew; Ng, David; Prasad, Eswar. "The Coming Wave: Where Do Emerging Market Investors Put Their Money?"Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis. 55.4 (2020): 1369-1414
- Karolyi, G. Andrew; Wu, Ying. "A New Partial-Segmentation Approach to Modeling International Stock Returns"Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis. 53.2 (2018): 507-546
- Gagnon, Louis; Karolyi, G. Andrew. "An Unexpected Test of the Bonding Hypothesis"Review of Corporate Finance Studies. 7.1 (2018): 101-156
- Doidge, Craig; Karolyi, G. Andrew; Stulz, René. "The U.S. Listing Gap"Journal of Financial Economics. 123.3 (2017): 464-487
- Karolyi, G. Andrew; Liao, Rose. "State Capitalism's Global Reach: Evidence from Foreign Acquisitions by State-owned Companies"Journal of Corporate Finance. 42 (2017): 367-391
- Karolyi, G. Andrew; Taboada, Alvaro. "Regulatory Arbitrage and Cross-Border Bank Acquisitions"Journal of Finance. 70.6 (2015): 2395-2450
- Doidge, Craig; Karolyi, G. Andrew; Stulz, Rene. "The U.S. left behind? Financial globalization and the rise of IPOs outside the U.S."Journal of Financial Economics. 110.3 (2013): 546-573
- Karolyi, G. Andrew; Lee, Kuan-Hui; Van Dijk, Mathijs. "Understanding Commonality in Liquidity around the World"Journal of Financial Economics. 105.1 (2012): 82-112
- Hou, Kewei; Karolyi, G. Andrew; Kho, Bong-Chan. "What Factors Drive Global Stock Returns?"Review of Financial Studies. 24.8 (2011): 2527-2574
- NBAT 5900 - Advanced Topics in Finance
- PhD Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, 1989
- MBA Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, 1987
- MA University of Ottawa, 1985
- BA McGill University, 1983