Glen W.S. Dowell
- Area Coordinator for Management and Organizations
- Sustainable Business
- Management and Organizations
Professor Glen Dowell is an associate professor of management and organizations at the Johnson Graduate School of Management. He researches in the area of corporate sustainability, with a focus on firm environmental performance. Recent projects have investigated the effect of local demographic factors on changes in pollution levels, the role of corporate merger and acquisition in facilitating changes in facility environmental performance, and the relative influence of financial return and disruption on commercial adoption of energy savings initiatives.
Professor Dowell's research has been published in Management Science, Organization Studies, Advances in Strategic Management, Strategic Management Journal, Organization Science, Journal of Management, Industrial and Corporate Change, Journal of Business Ethics, and Administrative Science Quarterly. He is Senior Editor at Organization Science, Co-editor of Strategic Organization, is on the editorial boards of Strategic Management Journal, and Administrative Science Quarterly, and represents Cornell on the board of the Alliance for Research in Corporate Sustainability (ARCS). He is also the Division Chair for the Organizations and Natural Environment Division of the Academy of Management.
Professor Dowell teaches Sustainable Global Enterprise and Critical and Strategic Thinking. He is a faculty affiliate for the Center for Sustainable Global Enterprise and is a faculty fellow at the Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future.
- Dowell, Glen; Muthulingam, Suresh. "Will Firms Go Green If It Pays? The Impact of Disruption, Cost, and External Factors on the Adoption of Environmental Initiatives" Strategic Management Journal. 38.6 (2017): 1287–1304
- Kalnins, Arturs; Dowell, Glen. "Community Characteristics and Changes in Toxic Chemical Releases: Does Information Disclosure Affect Environmental Injustice?" Journal of Business Ethics. 145.2 (2017): 277 - 292
- Lewis, Ben; Walls, Judith; Dowell, Glen. "Difference in Degrees: CEO Characteristics and Firm Environmental Disclosure" Strategic Management Journal. 35.5 (2014): 712-722
- Berchicci, Luca; Dowell, Glen; King, Andrew. "Environmental Performance and the Market for Corporate Assets" Strategic Management Journal. 38.12 (2017): 2444 - 2464
- Panikos, Georgallis; Dowell, Glen; Durand, Rodolphe. "Shine on Me: Industry Coherence and Policy Support for Emerging Industries" Administrative Science Quarterly. 64.3 (2019): 503-541
- NCC 5050/NCCY 5050 - Critical and Strategic Thinking
- NCCT 5050 - Critical & Strategic Thinking
- NMI 5000 - Directed Reading and Research
- NBA 6030 - Strategies for Sustainability
- PhD University of Michigan, 2000
- MBA McGill University, 1995
- BCom University of Alberta, 1989