Risa M. Mish
- Professor of Practice
- Critical and Strategic Thinking
- Employment Relations, Human Resources and Law
- Management and Organizations
Risa Mish is professor of practice of management at the Johnson Graduate School of Management. She designed and teaches the MBA, EMBA, and Cornell-Tsinghua Core courses in Critical and Strategic Thinking, teaches elective courses in critical thinking and leadership, and was the founding faculty director of the Johnson Leadership Fellows program.
She has been the recipient of the MBA and Accelerated MBA Core Faculty Teaching Awards, selected by the residential program MBA and AMBA classes to honor the teacher who "best fosters learning through lecture, discussion and course work in the required core curriculum"; the Apple Award for Teaching Excellence, selected by the MBA graduating class to honor a faculty member who "exemplifies outstanding leadership and enduring educational influence"; the "Best Teacher Award", selected by the graduating class of the Cornell-Tsinghua dual degree MBA/FMBA program offered by Johnson at Cornell and the PBC School of Finance at Tsinghua University to recognize "a faculty member whose teaching was the best in the classroom"; the Stephen Russell Distinguished Teaching Award, selected by the five-year MBA reunion class to honor a faculty member whose "teaching and example have continued to influence graduates five years into their post-MBA careers"; the Globe Award for Teaching Excellence, selected by the Executive MBA graduating class to honor a faculty member who "demonstrates a command of subject matter and also possesses the creativity, dedication, and enthusiasm essential to meet the unique challenges of an EMBA education"; and the Star Award for Teaching Excellence, selected by the Executive MBA of the Americas graduating class to honor the faculty member whose "exceptional performance made the most significant contribution to the student learning experience".
Mish serves as a keynote speaker and workshop leader at global, national, and regional conferences for corporations and trade associations in the consumer products, financial services, health care, high tech, media, and manufacturing industries, on a variety of topics, including critical thinking and problem solving, persuasion and influence, and motivating optimal employee performance.
Before returning to Cornell, Mish was a partner in the New York City law firm of Collazo Carling & Mish LLP (now Collazo Florentino & Keil LLP), where she represented management clients on a wide range of labor and employment law matters, including defense of employment discrimination claims in federal and state courts and administrative agencies, and in labor arbitrations and negotiations under collective bargaining agreements. Prior to CC&M, Mish was a labor and employment law associate with Simpson Thacher & Bartlett in New York City, where she represented Fortune 500 clients in the financial services, consumer products, and manufacturing industries. She is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court and state and federal courts in New York and Massachusetts.
Mish is a member of the board of directors of SmithBucklin Corporation, the world's largest trade association management company, headquartered in Chicago. She formerly served on the board of directors of TheraCare, Inc., headquartered in New York City, as a Trustee of the Tompkins County Public Library, Vice Chair of the board of directors of the Community Foundation of Tompkins County, and member of the board of directors of the United Way of Tompkins County.
Awards and Honors
- Core Faculty Teaching Award for the One-Year MBA Class (2020)
- Stephen Russell Distinguished Teaching Award (2019) Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management, Class of 2014
- Core Faculty Teaching Award for the Two-Year MBA Class (2019)
- Best Teacher Award (2018) Cornell-Tsinghua Dual Degree MBA Program
- Apple Award for Teaching Excellence (2017) Cornell University
- NBA 5885 - Advanced Critical Thinking for Business Leaders
- NBAE 5040 - Building Leadership Influence
- NCCT 5050 - Critical and Strategic Thinking
- NCC 5050/NCCY 5050 - Critical and Strategic Thinking
- NBAB 5880 - Critical Thinking
- NBAE 5880 - Critical Thinking for Business Leaders
- NMI 5000 - Directed Reading and Research
- JD Law School, Cornell University, 1988
- BS Cornell University, 1985