- Henrietta Johnson Louis Professor of Management
- Business Analytics
- Health Care
- Emerging Markets
- Quantitative Modeling
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Sachin Gupta is Henrietta Johnson Louis Professor of Marketing at the SC Johnson Graduate School of Management. Professor Gupta's research focuses on analytical models of marketing phenomena, including discrete choice models of consumer behavior, marketing mix models, measurement of returns on marketing investments, pricing, promotions, and advertising decisions, channel relationships, and so forth. His expertise is in the consumer goods and prescription pharmaceutical industries, and the nonprofit sector.
In 2014 his paper in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing received the Outstanding Paper award.
In 2008 Professor Gupta's paper published in the Journal of Marketing Research in 2003 received the O'Dell award of the American Marketing Association. This award is given to the authors of the best article published five years earlier. Professor Gupta also received the Paul Green award of the American Marketing Association in 2003. In 2007, he received the Cornell Hospitality Quarterly's best paper award for his article on customer satisfaction in the restaurant industry. Five of his other published papers have been finalists for the O'Dell award, the Paul Green award, and the John D.C. Little award of INFORMS.
At Johnson, Gupta teaches a popular MBA elective course called Data Driven Marketing. He has previously taught MBA elective courses in Marketing Research and Pricing, and the Marketing Management core course in the MBA and EMBA programs. He teaches in a variety of non-degree executive education programs. In 2009, he received the Stephen Russell Distinguished Teaching Award, given by the Johnson class of 2004, at their fifth reunion. In 2007 the graduating MBA class selected him to receive the Apple Award for Teaching Excellence. Gupta previously taught at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, where he received the Sidney Levy Award for teaching excellence and was recognized in the Dean’s four-star list on multiple occasions.
Since 2016 Professor Gupta has been a Co-Editor of the Journal of Marketing Research. From 2010 to 2013 Professor Gupta was Johnson's Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. In that role he was responsible for recruitment and development of faculty, and for the school's research function. From 2014 to 2018 he was director of Cornell’s PhD program in Management. Four of Professor Gupta’s former doctoral students are tenured faculty members at leading research universities.
- Gupta, Sachin; Ravindran, Ravilla; Subburaman, Ganesh-Babu; Vardhan, Ashok; Ravilla, Thulasiraj. "Predictors of Patient Compliance with Follow-up after Cataract Surgery" Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. (forthcoming).
- Gupta, Sachin; Ravindran, Ravilla; Subburaman, Ganesh-Babu; Vardhan, Ashok; Ravilla, Thulasiraj. "Evidence on Importance of Follow-up Visits after Cataract Surgery" Ophthalmology. 126.6 (2019): 910-912
- Gupta, Sachin; Haripriya, Aravind; Vardhan, Ashok; Ravilla, Thulasiraj; Ravindran, Ravilla; Shekhar, Madhu. "Visual Acuity Outcomes in Resident-Performed Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery" Ophthalmology. 126.5 (2019): 764-765
- Gupta, Sachin; Palsule-Desai, Omkar; Gnanasekaran, C.; Ravilla, Thulasiraj. "Spillover Effects of Mission Activities on Revenues in Nonprofit Health Care: The Case of Aravind Eye Hospitals, India" Journal of Marketing Research. 55.6 (2018): 885-899
- Gupta, Sachin; Haripriya, Aravind; Vardhan, Ashok; Ravilla, Thulasiraj; Ravindran, Ravilla. "Residents’ Learning Curve for Manual Small-Incision Cataract Surgery at Aravind Eye Hospital, India" Ophthalmology. 125.11 (2018): 1692-1699
- Schneider, Matthew; Jagpal, Sharan; Gupta, Sachin; Yu, Yan; Li, Shaobo. "A Flexible Method for Protecting Marketing Data: An Application to Point-of-Sale Data" Marketing Science. 37.1 (2018)
- Schneider, Matthew; Jagpal, Sharan; Gupta, Sachin; Li, Shaobo; Yu, Yan. "Protecting Customer Privacy When Marketing With Second-party Data" International Journal of Research in Marketing, Ed. Bruce Hardie. 34.3 (2017): 593-603
- Schneider, Matthew; Gupta, Sachin. "Forecasting Sales of New and Existing Products Using Consumer Reviews: A Random Projections Approach" International Journal of Forecasting. 32.2 (2016): 243–256
- Liu, Qiang; Steenburgh, Thomas; Gupta, Sachin. "The Cross Attributes Flexible Substitution Logit: Uncovering Category Expansion and Share Impacts of Marketing Instruments" Marketing Science. 34.1 (2015): 144-159
- Park, Sungho; Gupta, Sachin. "Handling Endogenous Regressors by Joint Estimation Using Copulas" Marketing Science. 31.4 (2012): 567-586
Awards and Honors
- William F. O'Dell Award (2008) American Marketing Association
- Paul E. Green Award (2003) American Marketing Association, Journal of Marketing Research
- Russell Distinguished Teaching Award (2008) Johnson Graduate School of Management
- Apple Award for Teaching Excellence (2006) Johnson Graduate School of Management
- Faculty Research Award (2006) Johnson Graduate School of Management
- AEM 4435 - Data Driven Marketing
- NBA 6390 - Data Driven Marketing
- NRE 5220 - Quantitative Models in Marketing: Empirical Methods
- PhD Cornell University, 1993
- Post-Graduate Diploma Indian Institute of Management, 1984
- BA Delhi University -St. Stephen's College, 1982