- Henrietta Johnson Louis Professor of Management
- Editor in Chief, Journal of Marketing Research
- Business Analytics
- Health Care
- Privacy in Marketing Data
- Quantitative Modeling
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Sachin Gupta is Henrietta Johnson Louis Professor of Marketing at the SC Johnson Graduate School of Management. Professor Gupta's research focuses on marketing research, healthcare, privacy of marketing data, nonprofits, and marketing analytics.
Professor Gupta's published research has received several recognitions. In 2021 his paper published in the Journal of Marketing Research (JMR) received the Paul E. Green Award of the American Marketing Association (AMA). This annual award recognizes the article in JMR that demonstrates the greatest potential to contribute to the theory, methods, and practice of marketing. In 2020 Professor Gupta's paper published in JMR in 2018 received the AMA-EBSCO Annual Award for Responsible Research in Marketing. The award honors outstanding research that produces credible and useful knowledge that can be applied to benefit society. In 2014 his paper in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing received the Outstanding Paper award. His paper published in JMR in 2003 received both the Paul E. Green Award and the 2008 O'Dell Award of the AMA. The O'Dell award is given to the article published five years earlier that has made the most significant, long-term contribution to marketing theory, methodology, and/or practice. In 2007, he received the Cornell Hospitality Quarterly's best paper award for his article on customer satisfaction in the restaurant industry. Five of his other published papers have been finalists for the O'Dell award, the Paul E. Green award, and the John D.C. Little award of INFORMS.
Since April 2020 Professor Gupta serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Marketing Research, where he had been Co-editor since 2016. From 2010 to 2013 Professor Gupta was Johnson's Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. In that role he was responsible for recruitment and development of faculty, and for the school's research function. From 2014 to 2018 he was director of Cornell’s PhD program in Management.
At Johnson, Gupta teaches Data Driven Marketing, a popular elective course. He has previously taught MBA elective courses in Marketing Research and Pricing, and the Marketing Management core course in the MBA and EMBA programs. He teaches in a variety of non-degree executive education programs. In 2009, he received the Stephen Russell Distinguished Teaching Award, given by the Johnson class of 2004, at their fifth reunion. In 2007 the graduating MBA class selected him to receive the Apple Award for Teaching Excellence. Gupta is the author of eCornell's Marketing Analytics certificate and co-author of eCornell's Data Privacy Strategy certificate. He previously taught at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, where he received the Sidney Levy Award for teaching excellence and was recognized in the Dean’s four-star list on multiple occasions.
Professor Gupta serves on the Board of Directors of the Aravind Eye Foundation, a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit that helps the Aravind Eye Care System spread its sustainable model of high quality, patient-centric eye care to India's rural populations and to other developing countries.
- Kim, Sungjin; Gupta, Sachin; Lee, Clarence. "Managing Members, Donors and Member-Donors for Effective Nonprofit Fundraising"Journal of Marketing. 85.3 (2021): 220-239
- Gupta, Sachin; Haripriya, Aravind; Ravindran, Ravilla; Ravilla, Thulasiraj. "Differences Between Male and Female Residents in Case Volumes and Learning in Cataract Surgery"Journal of Surgical Education. (forthcoming).
- Kim, Sungjin; Lee, Clarence; Gupta, Sachin. "Bayesian Synthetic Control Methods"Journal of Marketing Research. 57.5 (2020): 831-852
- Gupta, Sachin; Ravindran, Ravilla; Subburaman, Ganesh-Babu; Vardhan, Ashok; Ravilla, Thulasiraj. "Predictors of patient compliance with follow-up visits after cataract surgery"Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 45.8 (2019): 1105-1112
- Gupta, Sachin; Ravindran, Ravilla; Subburaman, Ganesh-Babu; Vardhan, Ashok; Ravilla, Thulasiraj. "Evidence on Importance of Follow-up Visits after Cataract Surgery"Ophthalmology. 126.6 (2019): 910-912
- Gupta, Sachin; Palsule-Desai, Omkar; Gnanasekaran, C.; Ravilla, Thulasiraj. "Spillover Effects of Mission Activities on Revenues in Nonprofit Health Care: The Case of Aravind Eye Hospitals, India"Journal of Marketing Research. 55.6 (2018): 885-899
- Gupta, Sachin; Haripriya, Aravind; Vardhan, Ashok; Ravilla, Thulasiraj; Ravindran, Ravilla. "Residents’ Learning Curve for Manual Small-Incision Cataract Surgery at Aravind Eye Hospital, India"Ophthalmology. 125.11 (2018): 1692-1699
- Schneider, Matthew; Jagpal, Sharan; Gupta, Sachin; Yu, Yan; Li, Shaobo. "A Flexible Method for Protecting Marketing Data: An Application to Point-of-Sale Data"Marketing Science. 37.1 (2018)
- Schneider, Matthew; Jagpal, Sharan; Gupta, Sachin; Li, Shaobo; Yu, Yan. "Protecting Customer Privacy When Marketing With Second-party Data"International Journal of Research in Marketing, Ed. Bruce Hardie. 34.3 (2017): 593-603
- Park, Sungho; Gupta, Sachin. "Handling Endogenous Regressors by Joint Estimation Using Copulas"Marketing Science. 31.4 (2012): 567-586
Awards and Honors
- AMA-EBSCO Annual Award for Responsible Research in Marketing (2020) American Marketing Association
- William F. O'Dell Award (2008) American Marketing Association
- Paul E. Green Award (2003) American Marketing Association, Journal of Marketing Research
- Russell Distinguished Teaching Award (2008) Johnson Graduate School of Management
- Apple Award for Teaching Excellence (2006) Johnson Graduate School of Management
- NBA 6390 - Data Driven Marketing
- AEM 4435 - Data Driven Marketing
- PhD Cornell University, 1993
- Post-Graduate Diploma Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, 1984
- BA St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi, 1982