Andrew M. Davis
- Associate Professor
- Director of the Business Simulation Laboratory
- Behavioral Economics and Decision Research
- Operations Management
- Behavioral Research
- Supply Chain Management
- Decision Making
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Professor Andrew Davis is an associate professor of operations, technology, and information management and the director of the Business Simulation Lab at the Johnson Graduate School of Management. His research focuses on procurement in supply chains, such as contracting, bargaining , and auctions, in B2B settings. Because these settings require managerial input in practice, Professor Davis employs a behavioral methodology when investigating these problems. In particular, he conducts controlled laboratory experiments with human participants to investigate how behavioral factors affect procurement decisions in supply chains. His research has been published in Management Science, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, and Production and Operations Management. He serves as an Associate Editor for Management Science and a Senior Editor for Production & Operations Management and is a former president of the INFORMS Behavioral Operations Section.
Some of the awards that Professor Davis has received include third place in the Wickham Skinner Early Career Accomplishments Award, the Best Reviewer Award from the Production and Operations Management Society, the Best Behavioral Operations Management Working Paper from INFORMS, a finalist for the Best Public Operations Research Paper from INFORMS, the Distinguished Service Award and Meritorious Service Award from Management Science (three times), and the Clifford H. Whitcomb Faculty Fellowship and Half Century Fellowship from the Johnson School at Cornell University. He has also been named as one of "The World's Best 40 Under 40 Business School Professors" by Poets and Quants.
Prior to joining Johnson in 2011, Professor Davis worked for C&S Wholesale Grocers, a $30 billion grocery distributor, in various supply chain roles. He earned a BA in economics from Colgate University, an MBA from the Pennsylvania State University, and a PhD in supply chain management also from the Pennsylvania State University.
- Davis, Andrew; Hyndman, Kyle. "Private Information and Dynamic Bargaining in Supply Chains: An Experimental Investigation"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. (forthcoming).
- Davis, Andrew; Gaur, Vishal; Kim, Dayoung. "Consumer Learning from Own Experience and Social Information: An Experimental Study"Management Science. 67.5 (2021): 2657-3320
- Davis, Andrew; Hyndman, Kyle. "Multidimensional Bargaining and Inventory Risk in Supply Chains: An Experimental Study"Management Science. 65.3 (2019): 955-1453
- Davis, Andrew; Leider, Stephen. "Contracts and Capacity Investment in Supply Chains"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 20.3 (2018): 403-421
- Davis, Andrew. "Biases in Individual Decision Making"The Handbook of Behavioral Operations, Ed. Karen Donohue, Ed. Elena Katok, Ed. Stephen Leider. John Wiley and Sons Inc.. (2018): 151-193
- Davis, Andrew; Hyndman, Kyle. "An Experimental Investigation of Managing Quality Through Monetary and Relational Incentives"Management Science. 64.5 (2018): 2345 - 2365
- Davis, Andrew. "An Experimental Investigation of Pull Contracts in Supply Chains"Production and Operations Management. 24.2 (2015): 325-340
- Davis, Andrew; Katok, Elena; Santamaría, Natalia. "Push, Pull, or Both? A Behavioral Study of How the Allocation of Inventory Risk Affects Channel Efficiency"Management Science. 60.11 (2014): 2666-2683
- Davis, Andrew; Katok, Elena; Kwasnica, Anthony. "Should Sellers Prefer Auctions? A Laboratory Comparison of Auctions and Sequential Mechanisms"Management Science. 60.4 (2014): 990-1008
- Davis, Andrew; Katok, Elena; Kwasnica, Anthony. "Do Auctioneers Pick Optimal Reserve Prices?"Management Science. 57.1 (2011): 177-192
Awards and Honors
- Best Behavioral Operations Working Paper (2018) INFORMS
- Wickham Skinner Early Career Accomplishments Award, Honorable Mention (2018) Production and Operations Management Society
- Distinguished Service Award (2018) Management Science
- Best Reviewer Award (2016) Production and Operations Management Society
- The World's Best 40 Under 40 Business School Professors (2015) Poets and Quants
- NCC 5080 - Managing Operations
- NRE 5580 - PhD Seminar in Behavioral Operations
- PhD Pennsylvania State University, 2011
- MBA Pennsylvania State University, 2006
- BA Colgate University, 2003