Hernan J.F. Saenz, III
- Visiting Senior Lecturer
- Organizational Behavior
Hernan Saenz has been at Bain for over 20 years and has lived and worked in Asia-Pacific, Europe, and North and Latin America. He is currently a partner in the Dallas office of Bain and serves as the Global Head of Bain’s Performance Improvement Practice.
Between 2008 and 2016, Hernan served the firm as the Managing Partner of the Bain Dallas, Bain Houston, and Bain Mexico offices. During his tenure, the Bain Southwest region more than doubled in size. This expansion included the founding of the Bain Houston office and Bain’s Private Equity practice in Texas, as well as the scaling of Bain’s business across all major industry and capability practice areas.
Hernan specializes in corporate transformations, full potential programs, operational turnarounds, and scale change efforts. He has completed over 100 assignments across a number of sectors, including airlines, consumer products and retail, healthcare, industrial products and services, distribution, and telecommunications.
Hernan’s articles have been published in a number of journals, including Harvard Business Review, Business Strategy Review, World Business, Wall Street Journal – Mint, and EIU.
Prior to joining Bain, Hernan was a faculty member in economics at INCAE, a business school in Latin America. In addition, he was a principal at a consulting firm serving banks and other financial institutions in Latin America.
At Cornell, Hernan’s courses focus on the analysis, formulation and implementation of business strategy. Multiple frameworks and tools are studied for each phase of the strategy process and illustrated through examples and case studies.
Hernan earned an MBA and an MILR from Cornell University, as well as a MS in economics from Stanford University. He is also a graduate of Harvard College, where he received a BA in economics magna cum laude.
Hernan is a member of the Johnson School Advisory Council at Cornell (emeritus), the Dallas Citizens Council, and the Dallas Chapter of YPO Gold. He is also involved and supports a number of other civic organizations in the Dallas Metroplex.
In 2011, Hernan was recognized by Consulting Magazine as one of the top 25 consultants globally. In 2012, Hernan was recognized by Cornell University with the “Distinguished Latino Alumni Award” for his “exceptional achievements and significant contributions to his profession, community, and society as a whole.”
- Saenz, Hernan; Supko, Michelle; O'Keefe, Dunigan; Henderson, Simon; Ledingham, Dianne. "Why Return to “Normal” When You Can Recover to a Winning Position?". Bain & Company. (2020): 16pp
- Saenz, Hernan; Anderson, Nate; Ledingham, Dianne; Supko, Michelle. "The “New Normal” Is a Myth. The Future Won’t Be Normal at All". Bain & Company. (2020): 12pp
- Saenz, Hernan; O'Keefe, Dunigan; Harris, Karen; van Biesen, Tim; Hazan, John; Ledingham, Dianne; Anderson, Nate. "Back to Work". Bain & Company. (2020): 32pp
- Saenz, Hernan; O'Keefe, Dunigan. "Covid-19: Protect, Recover and Retool". Bain & Company. (2020): 12pp
- Saenz, Hernan; Holland, Tom; Litre, Patrick; Henderson, Simon; Schannon, David; Capeless, Mark. "In a Crisis, This Is What Good Looks Like". Bain & Company. (2020): 5pp
- Holland, Tom; Henderson, Simon; Schannon, David; Saenz, Hernan. "A CEO Plan for Coronavirus: Actions to Take Now". Bain & Company. (2020): 12pp
- Gerstenhaber, Greg; Saenz, Hernan. "Bending the Cost Curve". Bain & Company. (2019): 12pp
- Guarraia, Peter; Saenz, Hernan. "Sustained cost transformation: Delivering savings that stick". Bain & Company. (2012): 12pp
- Gottfredson, Mark; Schaubert, Steve; Saenz, Hernan. "The New Leader’s Guide to Diagnosing the Business". Harvard Business Review. (2008): 22pp
- Rogers, Paul; Saenz, Hernan. "Make Your Back Office an Accelerator". Harvard Business Review. (2007): 3pp
- NBA 5790 - Cases in Business Strategy
- MILR Cornell University, 1998
- MBA Cornell University, 1998
- MA Stanford University, 1994
- BA Harvard University, 1993