- Artificial Intelligence
- Services Operations Management
- Technology Strategy
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Soumitra Dutta is Professor of Management (on leave) and the former founding Dean of the SC Johnson College of Business at Cornell University. He is also the Peter Moores Dean and Professor of Management, at the Said School of Business, University of Oxford. He is the co-founder and President of Portulans Institute, a non-profit non-partisan think tank based in Washington DC. Prior to joining Cornell in 2012, he was on the faculty of INSEAD.
Soumitra Dutta is an authority on innovation in the knowledge economy, with a refreshing global perspective. He is the author of the Network Readiness Index and the Global Innovation Index - two influential reports in technology and innovation policy. He is/has been on the board of global firms including Sodexo, Dassault Systemes and ZS Associates. He is currently the Chair of the Board of the Global Business School Network and is on the advisory boards of several business schools including HEC Montreal and ESADE (Spain).
Dean Dutta received a B. Tech. in electrical engineering and computer science from the Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, a MS in both business administration and computer science, and a PhD in computer science from the University of California at Berkeley. In 2017, he received the Distinguished Alumnus award from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. He received a DPhil Honoris Causa in 2023 from Amity University, India's largest private university.
- Casanova, Lourdes; Cornelius, Peter; Dutta, Soumitra. Financing Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Emerging Markets. Academic Press. 1st ed. (2018): 318pp
- "Global Innovation Index 2017: Innovation Feeding the World", Ed. Soumitra Dutta, Ed. Bruno Lanvin, Ed. Sacha Wunsch-Vincent. Cornell University, INSEAD and the WIPO. 10 (2017): 433
- Dutta, Soumitra; Lanvin, B.; Wunsch-Vincent, S. "Global Innovation Index 2016: Winning with Global Innovation", Ed. Dutta, Ed. Lanvin, Ed. Wunsch-Vincent. Cornell University, INSEAD and the WIPO. 9 (2016): 451
- Baller, S.; Dutta, Soumitra; Lanvin, B. "The Global Information Technology Report 2016: Innovating in the Digital Economy", Ed. Baller, Ed. Dutta, Ed. Lanvin. World Economic Forum. (2016): 307
- Finger, Lutz; Dutta, Soumitra. Ask, Measure, Learn: Using Social Media Analytics to Understand and Influence Customer Behavior. O'Reilly Media. (2014): 338
- Pal, Sankar; Banerjee, Romi; Dutta, Soumitra; Sarma, Samar. "An Insight Into The Z-number Approach To CWW"Fundamenta Informaticae, Ed. Damian Niwinski. 124.1-2 (2013): 197-229
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Alumnus Award (2017) IIT Delhi
- PhD University of California, Berkeley, 1990
- MS University of California, Berkeley, 1989
- MS University of California, Berkeley, 1987
- Btech Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, 1985