- Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Technology
- Artificial Intelligence
- Services Operations Management
- Technology Strategy
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Soumitra Dutta is a Professor of Management and the former founding Dean of the SC Johnson College of Business at Cornell University, New York. Previously, he was the Anne and Elmer Lindseth Dean of the Johnson Graduate School of Management. Prior to joining Cornell in 2012, he was on the faculty of INSEAD, a leading international business school with campuses in France and Singapore.
Soumitra Dutta is an authority on innovation in the knowledge economy, with a refreshing global perspective. Throughout his distinguished career, he has focused on how to drive business innovation and growth through the right combination of innovative people and technology. He is the co-editor and author of the Global Information Technology Report, published by the World Economic Forum and the Global Innovation Index, published by the World Intellectual Property Organization - two influential reports in technology and innovation policy.
Dean Dutta is on the board of two listed firms Sodexo (a food services and facilities management multinational), Dassault Systemes (the world leader in 3D experience systems) and is a member of the Shareholder Council (Board) of ZS Associates (a global management consultancy focused on healthcare). He is currently the Chair of the Board of the Global Business School Network (a Washington DC based not-for-profit focused on building management capacity in Africa and other frontier markets) and is on the advisory boards of several business schools including HEC Montreal and ESADE (Spain). Previously he was the Vice Chair and Chair of AACSB International, the leading accreditation body for business schools worldwide. He a member of the privileged "Davos Circle" group of participants who have been invited to the Annual Meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos for more than 10 years. He has co-founded two firms, including Fisheye Analytics which, WPP group acquired.
Dean Dutta received a B. Tech. in electrical engineering and computer science from the Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi, a MS in both business administration and computer science, and a PhD in computer science from the University of California at Berkeley. In 2017, he received the Distinguished Alumnus award from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
- Casanova, Lourdes; Cornelius, Peter; Dutta, Soumitra. Financing Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Emerging Markets. Academic Press. (2018): 300pp
- "Global Innovation Index 2017: Innovation Feeding the World", Ed. Soumitra Dutta, Ed. Bruno Lanvin, Ed. Sacha Wunsch-Vincent. Cornell University, INSEAD and the WIPO. 10 (2017): 433
- Dutta, Soumitra; Lanvin, B.; Wunsch-Vincent, S. "Global Innovation Index 2016: Winning with Global Innovation", Ed. Dutta, Ed. Lanvin, Ed. Wunsch-Vincent. Cornell University, INSEAD and the WIPO. 9 (2016): 451
- Baller, S.; Dutta, Soumitra; Lanvin, B. "The Global Information Technology Report 2016: Innovating in the Digital Economy", Ed. Lanvin, Ed. Baller, Ed. Dutta. World Economic Forum. (2016): 307
- Finger, Lutz; Dutta, Soumitra. Ask, Measure, Learn: Using Social Media Analytics to Understand and Influence Customer Behavior. O'Reilly Media. (2014): 338
- Pal, Sankar; Banerjee, Romi; Dutta, Soumitra; Sarma, Samar. "An Insight Into The Z-number Approach To CWW"Fundamenta Informaticae, Ed. Damian Niwinski. 124.1-2 (2013): 197-229
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Alumnus Award (2017) IIT Delhi
- Fellow (2017) World Economic Forum
- NBA 6145 - AI Strategy and Applications
- NBAE 6170 - Designing Data Products
- NMI 5000 - Directed Reading & Research
- NBAB 6750 - Leading Digital Transformation and Innovation
- NBAY 6750 - Leading Digital Transformation and Innovation
- NCCW 5080 - Managing Operations
- PhD University of California, Berkeley, 1990
- MS University of California, Berkeley, 1989
- MS University of California, Berkeley, 1987
- Btech Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, 1985