- Assistant Professor
- Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Technology
- Operations Management
- Quantitative Modeling
- Applied Economics
Yao Cui is an assistant professor of operations, technology and information management at the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University. His research interests focus on operations management in new business models. In his research, Professor Cui combines analytical and empirical methodologies to study operations strategies in the gig economy, technology innovation in supply chain networks, and new pricing strategies in hospitality industries. His research has been published in leading journals such as Management Science, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, and Production and Operations Management.
Professor Cui’s research has been recognized with several awards, such as the first place winner of the INFORMS Service Science Section Best Student Paper Competition, second place winner of the INFORMS TIMES Best Working Paper Award, and finalist of the INFORMS Public Sector Operations Research Best Paper Award and the INFORMS Service Science Section Best Paper Award. At Johnson, Professor Cui is the recipient of the 2020 Half Century Faculty Research Fellowship and 2017 Clifford H. Whitcomb Faculty Fellowship.
Professor Cui teaches the operations management core course in the EMBA and MBA programs. He received his doctoral degree from the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan and his bachelor’s degree from Department of Industrial Engineering at Tsinghua University.
- Cui, Yao; Duenyas, Izak; Şahin, Özge. "Should Event Organizers Prevent Resale of Tickets?"Management Science. 60.9 (2014): 2160-2179
- Cui, Yao; Duenyas, Izak; Şahin, Özge. "Pricing of Conditional Upgrades in the Presence of Strategic Consumers"Management Science. 64.7 (2018): 3208-3226
- Cui, Yao; Duenyas, Izak; Şahin, Özge. "Unbundling of Ancillary Service: How Does Price Discrimination of Main Service Matter?"Manufacturing and Service Operations Management. 20.3 (2018): 455-466
- Cui, Yao; Orhun, A. Yeşim; Duenyas, Izak. "How Price Dispersion Changes when Upgrades are Introduced: Theory and Empirical Evidence from the Airline Industry"Management Science. 65.8 (2019): 3835-3852
- Chen, Li; Cui, Yao; Lee, Hau. "Retailing with 3D Printing"Production and Operations Management. (forthcoming).
- Cui, Yao; Davis, Andrew. "Tax-Induced Inequalities in the Sharing Economy" (in preparation).
- Lee, Wee Kiat; Cui, Yao. "Should Gig Platforms Decentralize Dispute Resolution?" (in preparation).
- Chen, Li; Cui, Yao; Liu, Jingchen; Liu, Xiaoyan. "Bonus Ccompetition in the Gig Economy" (in preparation).
- Cui, Yao; Gaur, Vishal; Liu, Jingchen. "Blockchain Collaboration with Competing Firms in a Shared Supply Chain: Benefits and Challenges" (in preparation).
- Cui, Yao; Hu, Ming; Liu, Jingchen. "Values of Traceability in Supply Chains" (in preparation).
Awards and Honors
- Management Science Distinguished Service Award (2020) INFORMS
- M&SOM Meritorious Service Award (2020) INFORMS
- Runner-up, INFORMS TIMES Best Working Paper Award (2020) INFORMS
- Clifford H. Whitcomb Faculty Fellowship (2017) Johnson School of Management, Cornell University
- First Place Winner, INFORMS Service Science Section Best Student Paper Competition (2013) INFORMS
- NCC 5080/NCCY 5080 - Managing Operations
- NCCB 5080 - Operations Management
- PhD University of Michigan, 2015
- BEng Tsinghua University, 2009