- Assistant Professor
- Behavioral Research
Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Professor Soo Kim is an assistant professor of marketing at the Johnson Graduate School of Management. Her research interests include retail therapy and consumer well-being, consumers' symbolic use of products, and the influence of self-views on consumer behavior. Her research has been published multiple times in the Journal of Consumer Research, a leading academic journal in her field and has been featured in the popular press such as Forbes, the TIME magazine, The Huffington Post, Cosmopolitan UK, and Harpers Bazaar. Prior to joining the Johnson School, she received a PhD in marketing from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and an MS in communication from Cornell University.
At Johnson, Professor Kim teaches the Marketing Core and the Marketing Promotion Management elective.
In April 2015, she was recognized in the list of "The World's Best 40 Under 40 Business School Professors," released by Poets & Quants (https://poetsandquants.com/2015/04/16/2015-best-40-under-40-professors-soo-kim-johnson-school/). Professor Kim is also a recipient of the Half Century Faculty Research Fellowship, awarded to high-potential junior tenure track faculty at Johnson.
- Min, Kate; Liu, Peggy; Kim, Soo. "Sharing Extraordinary Experiences Fosters Feelings of Closeness" Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. 44.1 (2018): 107-121
- Lisjak, Monika; Bonezzi, Andrea; Kim, Soo; Rucker, Derek. "Perils of Compensatory Consumption: Within-Domain Compensation Undermines Subsequent Self-Regulation" Journal of Consumer Research. 41.5 (2015): 1186-1203
- Kim, Soo; Gal, David. "From Compensatory Consumption to Adaptive Consumption: The Role of Self-Acceptance in Resolving Self-Deficits" Journal of Consumer Research. 41.2 (2014): 526-542
- Kim, Soo; Rucker, Derek. "Bracing for the Psychological Storm: Proactive versus Reactive Compensatory Consumption" Journal of Consumer Research. 39.4 (2012): 815-830
Awards and Honors
- Small Grant ($3,000) (2016) Institute for the Social Sciences, Cornell University
- Top 40 Business School Professors Under 40 (2015) Poets and Quants
- Half Century Faculty Research Fellowship ($4,000) (2015) S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell University
- PhD Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, 2014
- MS Cornell University, 2009
- BA Ewha Woman's University, 2007