We recently enhanced our core curriculum at Johnson to increase the benefits of our Two-Year MBA program after surveying more than 1,000 corporate recruiters and alumni.
As a result, our graduates now achieve a faster and more significant return on investment, improving their opportunities for career advancement and success.
At the heart of our enhanced curriculum are three basic principles that provide the foundation for our program:
1. The value of a solid education in all key business functions, including marketing, finance, human resources, and production
2. The importance of strong analytical and decision-making skills
3. A focus on offering the greatest flexibility in tailoring individual curricula
These core principles have guided the development of our Two-Year MBA program curriculum, enabling Johnson to provide an unmatched learning experience for our students to better prepare them for working and winning in the new global economy.
What distinguishes Cornell’s Two-Year MBA from other MBA programs are the three program cornerstones:
- Advanced business fundamentals that, in the first semester, provide a comprehensive foundation in the four key areas of business to move you quickly into career-focused study.
- Performance Learning that closely integrates coursework with hands-on fieldwork to provide an unparalleled immersive learning experience we call Performance Learning. You’ll work individually and in teams to gain intensive, roll-your-sleeves-up experience in leadership, collaboration, decision-making, and strategic thinking.
- Highly flexible electives enabling you to rapidly build skills, knowledge, and experience custom-tailored to your goals and area of interest. For an even greater ROI and competitive advantage, you can choose from more than 4,000 courses in any of Cornell’s top-ranked schools, with an opportunity to earn a dual degree. Optional second-year concentrations enable you to custom-tailor your studies to add breadth and depth as well as focus on specific areas of interest in which you wish to advance your career.
Two-Year MBA Summary
Here’s what you can expect during your intense Two-Year MBA journey:
- FIRST SEMESTER includes core courses to cover advanced business fundamentals and features Leading Teams and the Leading Teams Practicum to help you acquire critical leadership skills. The semester culminates with a mandatory team-based case competition enabling you and your teammates to apply your core learning in a head-to-head contest with other teams.
- SECOND SEMESTER includes a data modeling and analysis course to prepare you for the growing business demand for actionable insights and predictive outcomes. The semester-long immersion of integrated class and field work prepares you for a competitive summer internship.
- FIRST SEMESTER includes Principled Leadership, a core course that focuses on leading larger teams and organizations. It requires students to personalize course concepts by engaging in self-assessments and self-reflection, and to practice important leadership skills such as issue selling, motivating others, and responding to crises. You are able to fully customize the rest of your study with electives and concentrations to broaden and deepen (respectively) your general and specific business knowledge and skills. Electives are available throughout all of Cornell University, including the University’s top-ranked schools of engineering, hotel administration, labor relations, law and medicine. The optional management practicum lets students planning careers in consulting hit the ground running as part of a hands-on, problem-solving team tackling a real challenge for a real company.
- SECOND SEMESTER continues your pursuit of career-focused study through your selected concentration and/or electives taken at Johnson or throughout Cornell, and access to a robust roster of leadership electives and expeditions, skill-building workshops, and mini-courses.