Who We Are
Big Red Microenterprise (BRM) is a student-run educational experience that spurs microenterprise development by assisting self-employed
individuals reach their business goals. Launched in January of 2009, BRM seeks
to meet a critical need by working with promising, but underserved
entrepreneurs in the local community. BRM partners with the Center for
Sustainable Global Enterprise (Center) to support microbusiness owners. By
offering coaching to entrepreneurs, our goal is to contribute to the local
community, supporting inclusive wealth creation and economic development.
The first such program
among business schools, BRM serves as a bridge connecting the human capital and
resources of Johnson with talented, community-based entrepreneurs. Through
customized support services that recognize the challenges faced by
self-employed microbusiness owners, we assist clients reach their goals and
build successful businesses.
Building Successful Microbusinesses
We work in partnership with clients, community and university
partners to create mutually-beneficial relationships. We accomplish the
- Partner with microbusiness owners to help them think through their business plans, tackle business problems, and connect to other helpful resources to support growth and expansion.
- Offer unparalleled performance-learning opportunities to business school students by applying best practices in social entrepreneurship and sustainable enterprise development.
Applying to BRM
If you are a self-employed Tompkins County resident or have a small
business near Tompkins County, BRM may be just the right service for you!
Preference is given to applicants that meet the following criteria:
- Tompkins County resident (or place of business within or near the county).
- Earn less than 80% of the county's median income or operates a sustainability-focused business.
- Have a business that has been operational for at least six months.
- Have limited access to the formal financial system due to poor credit history, lack of credit history, or limited collateral.
If you are interested in learning more or applying for client support, please contact Samrat Karak, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Business application link: Will be available October 2015
*Johnson students who are interested in joining BRM should contact Harsh Mogili at firstname.lastname@example.org.