For Fall Intake
- Round One: December 1
- Round Two: January 15
- Round Three: March 1
- Round Four: April 15
For Spring Intake
- October 15
After October 15th, applications will be received and reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Our application will be available September 1. Applicants must submit all application components by the application deadline listed for each round in order to have their applications considered in that round. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The MPS in Management requires as foundational preparation the Cornell Undergraduate Business Minor (or equivalent). If you are in the progress of completing this requirement, you may indicate this on your application.
Applicants from outside Cornell should have completed, at a minimum, introductory courses in: Economics, Statistics, Business or Management, Financial Accounting, Finance and Marketing.
Successful applicants will have received a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. For students with foreign credentials, an equivalent international degree is required. If your transcript is not in English, please submit an official and certified English translation in addition to an original copy. World Education Services (WES), a third-party verification agency, can provide this service. Transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended should be submitted.
Transcripts should indicate:
- All courses you have taken
- Grades received in each course
- Degree Name
- Date the degree was conferred
To submit a transcript, applicants must:
- Redact, cross out, or cover your Social Security Number (SSN) on paper transcripts prior to scanning. Please do not upload transcripts that include your SSN.
- Scan each transcript (and English translation, if required) as a PDF, TIFF, JPEG, or GIF file. The file size must be less than 10 MB.
- Ensure the scanned image is clear and easy to read.
- Upload the scanned transcript(s) into the online application as part of the submissions process.
Requirements for international credentials:
- All transcripts, diplomas, or academic records must be official documents issued by the college or university and provided in the original language.
- Transcripts should include grades received in each subject each year, and the number of weeks and hours per week each subject was studied.
- Courses must be described in detail. The general subject name (e.g., “mathematics”) is not sufficient; the particular subject (e.g., “differential equations,” “algebraic topology”) must be identified.
- Transcripts should be scanned and uploaded at the time of application. Admitted applicants will be required to send an official paper transcript prior to registration.
- “Unofficial” transcripts may be submitted with your application; however, should you be admitted into the MPS in Management program, we will request an official copy for verification prior to approving your enrollment.
GMAT/GRE Score Report*
*PLEASE NOTE: The MPS in Management program has made submitting the GMAT/GRE optional for the fall 2021 admission cycle. Your application will be compete without a score and it will not be disadvantaged in the review process without a score. Students will not be asked to justify their reasons for not submitting GMAT/GRE test results. The admissions committee uses a holistic approach when reviewing applications which means that all parts of your application are considered; academic, contextual and non-academic. In the absence of test scores, the admissions committee will look for different evidence of academic preparation with increased scrutiny.
This GMAT/GRE testing optional policy is in place for the spring and fall 2021 admissions cycle only. We will announce new guidance by July 2021 for the spring and fall 2022 cycle.
If you have graduated from Cornell University in the last 2 years with a GPA of 3.3 or greater, please submit your transcript and request a waiver. Please make the following program selection when sending your official score report: Cornell University – S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management – Master of Management
GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
- All official test scores should be reported directly to your field of study. The GMAT Institutional code for Cornell is 5811.
GRE (General Revised Test)
- Use institutional code 2098 when filling out the GRE registration to have your scores sent to us.
Two Letters of Recommendation
We require two letters of recommendation. One recommendation should be from a former or current instructor able to speak to your academic promise, while the other should be from an advisor, mentor, coach or supervisor able to speak to your professional promise. Official recommendations are a vital part of the final evaluation process.
All applicants will be required to submit a Statement of Purpose. This essay provides an opportunity to discuss your background, aspirations, character, personal goals, and anything significant that you would like the Admissions Committee to know. Formatting suggestions: 12 pt. font, Times New Roman, single spacing.
Statement of Purpose (required):
This one-or two-page statement states your reasons for undertaking graduate work and explains your academic interests, including their relation to your undergraduate study and professional goals. Include your full name and your proposed field of study at the top of every page.
In addition to a Statement of Purpose, candidates to the MPS in Management program are asked to complete two required supplemental essays. Each supplemental essay has a 100-word limit. Please follow the same formatting suggestions.
Supplemental Question 1 (required):
- “In graduate business school, much of the learning takes place in teams. Tell us specifically what qualities you will bring to the program that will enhance the learning of your classmates.”
Supplemental Question 2 (required):
- “Please describe a recent goal you have accomplished or challenge you have overcome outside the realm of academics, and describe what lessons you have learned from that experience.”
We also have one optional essay:
Supplemental Question 3 (optional):
- Although not required, you are invited to submit a short statement with additional details regarding your candidacy to the MPS in Management.
- We require a non-refundable application fee of $105. The application fee will be waived for all current or former United States military members and for all Cornell students and recent alumni (graduates within two years of application date).
- Payment must be made through the online application using either an e-check in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank, or a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit card.
Resume or CV
We require all candidates to upload their resume or CV. If you have updates to your resume after submitting your application, you are welcome to email an updated resume at any time during the admissions process.
Information for International Applicants
All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting official TOEFL or IELTS scores. The MPS in Management program does not accept My Best Score reports for the TOEFL examination and requires a minimum cumulative TOEFL score of 100 in addition to the minimum sub-scores that can be found on the Graduate School’s website.
In some cases, these testing requirements can be waived. For more information on score minimums, how to submit test scores, and the criteria for waiving the requirement, please visit the Graduate School’s website.
We are offering Duolingo English Test as a provisional option for applicants in the current cycle who, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, are unable to schedule an IELTS Academic or TOEFL exam. The Duolingo English Test is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online at any time or place with internet access.
You may be invited to conduct a personal interview prior to receiving your admissions decision.