MPS in Management Application Guide
For Fall Intake
- Round One: December 1
- Round Two: January 15
- Round Three: March 1
- Round Four: April 15
For Spring Intake
- October 15
After October 15th, applications will be received and reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Our application will be available September 1. Applicants must submit all application components by the application deadline listed for each round in order to have their applications considered in that round. We strongly encourage all applicants to submit their online application and supporting materials at least two weeks in advance of the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Interested students should apply online through the Cornell University Graduate School. Select “Management, M.P.S.” as the field. On the Educational History page select “None (general program)” in the concentration section and follow the instructions the rest of application instructions.
The MPS in Management requires as foundational preparation the Cornell Undergraduate Business Minor (or equivalent). If you are in the progress of completing this requirement, you may indicate this on your application.
Applicants from outside Cornell should have completed, at a minimum, introductory courses in: Economics, Statistics, Business or Management, Financial Accounting, Finance and Marketing.
Successful applicants will have received a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. For students with foreign credentials, an equivalent international degree is required. If your transcript is not in English, please submit an official and certified English translation in addition to an original copy. World Education Services (WES), a third-party verification agency, can provide this service. Transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended should be submitted.
Transcripts should indicate:
- All courses you have taken
- Grades received in each course
- Degree Name
- Date the degree was conferred
To submit a transcript, applicants must:
- Redact, cross out, or cover your Social Security Number (SSN) on paper transcripts prior to scanning. Please do not upload transcripts that include your SSN.
- Scan each transcript (and English translation, if required) as a PDF, TIFF, JPEG, or GIF file. The file size must be less than 10 MB.
- Ensure the scanned image is clear and easy to read.
- Upload the scanned transcript(s) into the online application as part of the submissions process.
Requirements for international credentials:
- All transcripts, diplomas, or academic records must be official documents issued by the college or university and provided in the original language.
- Transcripts should include grades received in each subject each year, and the number of weeks and hours per week each subject was studied.
- Courses must be described in detail. The general subject name (e.g., “mathematics”) is not sufficient; the particular subject (e.g., “differential equations,” “algebraic topology”) must be identified.
- Transcripts should be scanned and uploaded at the time of application. Admitted applicants will be required to send an official paper transcript prior to registration.
- “Unofficial” transcripts may be submitted with your application; however, should you be admitted into the MPS in Management program, we will request an official copy for verification prior to approving your enrollment.
GMAT/GRE Score Report*
*PLEASE NOTE: The MPS in Management program has made submitting the GMAT/GRE optional for the spring and fall 2022 admission cycle. When considering whether or not to submit the GMAT/GRE, please consider the following:
- Compelling applicants to the MPS program will demonstrate strong quantitative skills and English language proficiency.
- Our admissions committee uses a holistic approach to review applications, and will seek evidence of quantitative exposure through your resume, academic transcript, essay, and letters of recommendation.
- The GMAT/GRE is one way to demonstrate quantitative competency and English language proficiency to the admissions committee.
- All applications will be considered “complete” without GMAT/GRE test scores. If you plan to submit test scores, please schedule them to be sent to us well in advance of the application deadline so they can be reviewed with your application.
- The MPS program will accept the GRE General Test at Home and GMAT Online Exam for the spring 22 and fall 2022 admission cycle.
This GMAT/GRE testing optional policy is in place for the spring and fall 2022 admissions cycle only.
If you have graduated from Cornell University in the last 2 years with a GPA of 3.3 or greater, please submit your transcript and request a waiver. Please make the following program selection when sending your official score report: Cornell University – S.C. Johnson Graduate School of Management – Master of Management
GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
- All official test scores should be reported directly to your field of study. Search by Cornell University and find the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management-Master of Professional Studies in Management.
GRE (General Revised Test)
- Use institutional code 2098 when filling out the GRE registration to have your scores sent to us.
Two Letters of Recommendation
We require two letters of recommendation. One recommendation should be from a former or current instructor able to speak to your academic promise, while the other should be from an advisor, mentor, coach or supervisor able to speak to your professional promise. Official recommendations are a vital part of the final evaluation process.
All applicants will be required to submit a Statement of Purpose and a Video Interview. This essay provides an opportunity to discuss your background, aspirations, character, personal goals, and anything significant that you would like the Admissions Committee to know. Formatting suggestions: 12 pt. font, Times New Roman, single spacing.
Statement of Purpose (required):
This one-or two-page statement states your reasons for undertaking graduate work and explains your academic interests, including their relation to your undergraduate study and professional goals. Include your full name and your proposed field of study at the top of every page.
In addition to a Statement of Purpose, candidates to the MPS in Management program are asked to complete two required supplemental essays. Each supplemental essay has a 100-word limit. Please follow the same formatting suggestions.
Supplemental Question 1 (required):
- “In graduate business school, much of the learning takes place in teams. Tell us specifically what qualities you will bring to the program that will enhance the learning of your classmates.”
Supplemental Question 2 (required):
- “Please describe a recent goal you have accomplished or challenge you have overcome outside the realm of academics, and describe what lessons you have learned from that experience.”
- After you submit your application, you will be sent an email invitation to complete a video interview, where you will be asked to give short verbal responses to pre-recorded questions. Note, an invitation to the video interview will be sent automatically after submitting your application. Please monitor your inbox carefully as your application will not be considered complete until the video interview is submitted. The video interview is designed to assess your fit for the program and your communication skills.
We also have one optional essay:
Supplemental Question 3 (optional):
- Although not required, you are invited to submit a short statement with additional details regarding your candidacy to the MPS in Management.
- We require a non-refundable application fee of $105. The application fee will be waived for all current or former United States military members and for all Cornell students and recent alumni (graduates within two years of application date). In either of these cases, please contact email@example.com for a fee waiver code prior to submitting your application. Please indicate in your message if you are a current or former United States military member or a current or former Cornell student.
- Payment must be made through the online application using either an e-check in U.S. dollars drawn on a U.S. bank, or a Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit card.
Resume or CV
We require all candidates to upload their resume or CV. If you have updates to your resume after submitting your application, you are welcome to email an updated resume at any time during the admissions process.
Information for International Applicants
All international applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting official TOEFL or IELTS scores. The MPS in Management program does not accept My Best Score reports for the TOEFL examination and requires a minimum cumulative TOEFL score of 100 in addition to the minimum sub-scores that can be found on the Graduate School’s website.
In some cases, these testing requirements can be waived. For more information on score minimums, how to submit test scores, and the criteria for waiving the requirement, please visit the Graduate School’s website.
We are offering Duolingo English Test as a provisional option for applicants in the current cycle who, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, are unable to schedule an IELTS Academic or TOEFL exam. The Duolingo English Test is an online English proficiency test that can be taken online at any time or place with internet access. We require an overall score of 120 or higher on the Duolingo English Test.
IELTS and TOEFL Arrangements for COVID-19
COVID-19 has disrupted the ability of applicants in countries worldwide to take in-person English language proficiency exams.
We will temporarily accept at home test results for 2022 admission. Here are some additional options:
- IELTS Indicator allows test takers to take the IELTS Academic exam online from the comfort and safety of their home. The test is available for a limited time in countries where IELTS testing has been suspended due to COVID-19.
- TOEFL iBT® Special Home Edition is being offered temporarily to meet the needs of students who are unable to take the TOEFL iBT® at a test center due to public health concerns. The test is identical in content and format to the regular exam and is available everywhere that the TOEFL iBT test is normally available, with the exception of China and Iran.
- TOEFL ITP® Plus for China is no longer available, but will be accepted if scores are valid. All scores are valid for 2 years after the test date.
You may be invited to conduct a personal interview prior to receiving your admissions decision.